After lunch, it was Espiner who had her own moment in the sun when Younes + Espiner sponsored a panel discussion titled “A National Tragedy: Royal Commission Child Sexual Abuse” between barrister Jane Needham, SC, former Herald reporter David Marr and … ABC reporter Louise Milligan.
It’s funny how the world works.
The coronavirus is indiscriminate, but COVID-19 lockdowns have been two times lucky for reality television powerhouse The Block and two times unlucky for The Real Housewives of Melbourne.
Last year the reality renovation program just managed to complete its build and production before the city headed into its long winter lockdown. In contrast the Real Housewives was thrown into chaos and had to shut down production after just one day.
This year history repeated for The Block, which is produced for Nine, the owner of this masthead. The production team finished filming in Bronte Court in the bayside suburb of Hampton on Monday, May 24, just before Melbourne’s lockdown started at midnight last Thursday.
And it’s a case of second time unlucky for Foxtel’s Real Housewives of Melbourne. Founding cast member Janet Roach, partner of Chemist Warehouse chief executive Sam Gance, confirmed on Instagram that the reality program had a special exemption to do some limited filming but was banned from filming its full cast, which includes former CNN presenter Anjali Rao.
The Block’s auctions will be filmed later in the year the day before the finale is broadcast. Purchasers of previous Block properties include comedian Dave Hughes, who famously dropped $3 million on a five-bedroom property in 2017, much to his later regret. Much more discreet in his Block purchase was property developer and ABC board member Joe Gersh.
Host with the most
It’s less than a week until the ALP’s fundraisers leap into action for the Federal Labor Business Exchange – expected to be one of the party’s biggest money-spinners of the year. Officially, the event brings in Anthony Albanese and Labor’s federal frontbench for two days of addresses, presentations and quiet catch-ups with heavyweight corporates and executives whose votes – and financial support – the party is hoping to secure. Unofficially, the event functions as a political speed-dating event for Labor MPs keen to spruik their platform and for big business keen to probe the party’s policies.
But an invitation sent out in the past week has raised some eyebrows. Big Four consultancy PwC is hosting the event at its offices in Sydney’s Barangaroo, in a massive break with tradition. After all, the party usually holds the intensely political bash in a neutral space such as function centre Doltone House on Sydney’s waterfront.
Could the venue change be a sign that the consultancy headed by Tom Seymour is pinning its political colours to the mast now that we seem to be in striking distance of a federal election?
Not so, internal company sources told CBD, pointing out PwC was the headline sponsor of the Morrison government’s recent well-attended budget night dinner.
“PwC Australia believes it’s important to contribute to a thriving democracy in Australia. We make donations and host events at our various offices for both major political parties like many companies, unions and individuals across Australia,” the company said.
Good to know.
The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.