A 10-year-old girl has been left painful burns that will take two years to heal and could require plastic surgery after trying a TIkTok friend at a sleepover. The girl was sleeping at a friends house when they decided to try the trend using a deodorant can.
The girl held the can two to three centinetres from her hand and sprayed it on her skin for around 10 seconds. Her horrified mum told the Mirror: “10 seconds of stupidity has left her with two years of pain.”
The family tried to deal with the pain and burns at home, but had to take the girl to Casualty. The doctor has referred them to a plastic surgery team and said the wounds are likely to take 18-months to two years to heal completelyy.
The mum-of-three said: “They were just messing about with the deodorant can. I couldn’t believe it when I saw her hands, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. She’s basically given herself frostbite.
“Her friend did it first, but not for as long and then she gave it a go.
Her hands the day she used the can of deodorant
“It was such a shock, because she is such a sensible little girl normally, she never gets in trouble, she’s not one you need to tell off all the time. She just had a lapse of common sense.”
The 39-year-old mum added that her daughter’s summer is ruined as she can’t go out in the sunshine with her burnt hands or jump into a swimming pool.
“She has been very quiet since, she has been in a lot of pain, but has gone straight back to school,” she added.
In a warning to other parents she added: “Just keep reminding them not to take part in idiotic trends like this, those 10 seconds have ruined her next few years.”
A TikTok spokeswoman said: “We care deeply about the safety and wellbeing of our community.
“We actively remove content that depicts dangerous challenges and prompt people who search for it to visit our Safety Centre, where they can find an in-app guide for engaging with an online challenge, developed with leading youth safety experts.”