Meat Market: A look inside the Perth dating scene and the smartphone apps driving it.
20-30 years ago, who could have predicted that dating would evolve into what it has today. Gone are the days of meeting someone out at a bar or at the gym, now all you have to do is ‘swipe right’ and wait for a match!
I’m a 31 year old female and I find the dating scene in Perth hard work. I’ve been told by some male friends that they don’t approach Perth women because of the reactions they or their friends have received in the past (eye rolls, laughing, rudeness etc) and so for someone such as myself who doesn’t have the greatest confidence in approaching men (but is always very polite when approached), it can be hard to meet people out when neither sides are willing to do the work.
I have been on numerous dates from dating apps, some of them good and I happen to still be friends with a few. Sometimes you meet people and date them only to find out that they just aren’t right for you. And then there are the duds! I have arrived at a date only to find out I’ve been stood up, that’s always a great feeling. I’ve also been ghosted by someone I had three dates with who just didn’t turn up to a date and then never contacted me again. No explanation, no contact, he just completely feel off the face of the earth and is the very reason I’m cynical about Tinder. Dating in the 21st Century is exhausting!
Don’t get me wrong, there are pros to dating apps but as with everything, there are also cons.
DATING APP PROS
· Dating apps help you establish a rapport with someone and build your confidence before meeting them.
· Eliminates the need to leave the comfort of your own home.
· They are time efficient, you just “swipe right” and instantly see if you are a “match”.
DATING APP CONS
· Some people are on them to genuinely meet people, and some people are on them for less than genuine reasons (ie. Hook ups).
· Some people just look better in photos. Women in particular know how to angle pictures so they are more flattering, it’s what we do and Snapchat filters are all the rage at the moment, so yes, sometimes pictures lie.
DATING APP ADVICE TO INCREASE YOUR ODDS
· Put your clothes on – Leave something to the imagination!
· Don’t make me guess who you are – 1 or 2 group photos are fine, as long as I can pick you out based on your other photos.
· Let me see your face – why are you wearing a helmet? Why is there a bandana across your face? What are you hiding?
· Ask me questions – genuine questions to get to know me, not what bra size I am!
· Be yourself – you can’t keep up a charade forever, if you genuinely want to meet someone why bother being anyone but yourself.
SO LET ME BREAK THEM DOWN…
Mr “One Nighter/Mr Ghoster”
Sure, I’ve heard the success stories and know a few long term Tinder couples, some even married. That is genuinely not the experience I’ve had at all.
It’s pretty obvious on the first date what he’s looking for, or he’ll lull you into a false sense of security and go on a few dates with you, only to drop off the face of the earth never to be heard from again. Dating is hard enough without you jerks complicating it more!
My rating: 2/5
Mr “Something Longterm”
Bumble is similar to Tinder except once you match, you can only chat if the woman instigates the conversation. So if you’re a male who finds it difficult to approach women, this app is definitely a winner for you!
The fact that the women can filter the conversations seems to weed out the creeps and losers.
My rating: 5/5
Plenty of Fish (POF)
Mr “Won’t Take No For An Answer”
Don’t use the phrase “I’m Not Interested” on POF, that only seems to encourage the unwanted messages. Not only is he persistent, the POF guy borders on crazy. Be prepared for some of the filthiest comments you have ever received on a dating app.
My rating: 1/5
Happn hasn’t really taken off in Perth, but if you do happen (no pun intended) to jump on it, you’ll meet Perth men who have lived abroad or people from Melbourne, London, New York and other parts of the globe. All places that the app has been quite popular. I even saw Season 2 Bachelorette Winner, Lee Elliott on it while I was living in Melbourne, before he and Georgia Love became an item.
Happn uses GPS to track when you cross paths with other users.
My rating: 4/5
Mr “Always Been There”
Try chatting to a few people already on your friend’s list: it might be an old friend from high school, or one of your mates’ mates. All the dating apps in the world can’t help you find something that may already be right under your nose.
My rating: 5/5