The killer of Melbourne schoolgirl Masa Vukotic had an extensive history of violence against women and, the ABC understands, was out on bail at the time of the attack.
- Masa Vukotic’s killer pleads guilty to separate charge of rape
- Sean Price’s extensive history of violence against women can now be revealed
- Price was out on bail when he attacked Ms Vukotic
On Thursday in the Victorian Supreme Court, he pleaded guilty to a separate charge of raping a woman in an unrelated incident at a Christian bookshop two days after the teen’s murder.
With the guilty plea it can now be revealed Price has an extensive history of attacking women.
Price was 18 years old when he committed his first violent crimes against women.
Over a period of months, he committed a series of attacks in Melbourne, assaulting seven women, raping two of them.
One victim was a mother who was home with her two children.
Another victim was just 13 years old.
After he was apprehended, the judge found he had schizophrenia and psychosis, which clouded his social judgement.
He was sentenced to five and a half years in Melbourne’s psychiatric prison hospital, Thomas Embling.
After finishing the sentence, he was placed on a supervision order and sent to Corrella Place, a facility for sex offenders in western Victoria.
There, he was again violent on multiple occasions, smashing up property and cars.
Price was tried and went to prison.
But, when that sentence was finished, instead of being sent back to Corella Place, where he could have be closely monitored, he was released into the community.
The ABC understands Price was out on bail for threats to kill at the time of the attack on Ms Vukotic.
On Thursday Victoria’s Premier Daniel Andrews conceded the justice system failed Ms Vukotic, saying it was tragedy that must force change.
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said treating more than 6,000 registered sex offenders was notoriously difficult, but he would consider making changes to the system.
“It’s a concern for the community; we’ve got to make sure we keep the community as safe as possible, which means we’ve got to be on these people as much as possible,” he said.
“Making sure that particularly the recidivist behaviour, the type of damage these people can put into the community, is prevented.”
Price had previously pleaded not guilty to the rape charge and prosecutors requested his sentence for the murder of Ms Vukotic be postponed until after the rape trial.
Justice Lex Lasry set a tentative trial date for the rape for next year, which has now been abandoned.
Price’s defence lawyer argued in court previously that the murder and rape allegations were two separate matters and his sentence ought not be set back.
Ms Vukotic’s family and friends were in court, but did not comment as they left the building.
Price, who was wearing a black suit and a white open-necked shirt and had a short Mohawk-style haircut, sat quietly in the dock.
He was not shackled, unlike previous court appearances where he appeared via videolink, but was flanked by five security guards.
Ms Vukotic’s father stood up when Price left the court room and stared at him.
Price will return to court for a plea hearing for all the charges on December 14.