Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun Press Conference
Gamenotes vs. Green Bay
Setting the Scene
• The Youngstown State men’s basketball team plays its first two Horizon League home games when it hosts Green Bay, Jan. 1-2, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff for both games is set for 4 p.m.
• Both games will be broadcast on 570 WKBN.
• Friday’s game will be aired on ESPN+ and Saturday’s game will be broadcast on ESPN3.
Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun
Jerrod Calhoun is in his fourth season as Head Coach of the Youngstown State University men’s basketball program after being named to the position on March 27, 2017. Calhoun is the 13th head coach in program history. He owns a career record of 166-100 and a 42-62 mark with the Penguins. Last season, Calhoun guided the Penguins to one the most historic seasons in the program’s Division I history. YSU finished the season with an overall record of 18-15 and placed fourth in the Horizon League with a 10-8 league mark. The Penguins’ 18 wins were the most since 2012-13 and ranked tied for the fourth most in YSU’s Division I era. The 10 league wins tied a school record for most wins in Horizon League play. YSU’s 17 regular season wins were the most since 2000-01 and the most since joining the Horizon League.
Last Time Out
• The Penguins dropped a pair of games at Cleveland State on Dec. 26-27.
• In the first game, the Penguins lost 87-69 on Dec. 26.
• On Dec. 27, the Penguins led by 10 at halftime and by as many as 14, but dropped an 81-74 decision to the Vikings.
• Covington scored a game-high 24 points with seven rebounds.
A Win Would
• Give YSU its 14th win over Green Bay.
• Mark the fourth straight win over Green Bay at the Beeghly Center.
• Mark the fifth win in the last eight games against Green Bay.
• Mark Jerrod Calhoun’s 167th career win and his 43rd at YSU.
• Mark the 1,119th victory in program history.
• Give YSU a 5-3 overall record and a 2-3 Horizon League mark.
• Give the Penguins 3-0 home record.
The Green Bay Series
• This is the 49th meeting between Youngstown State and Green Bay that dates back to 1993.
• The Phoenix own a 35-13 advantage in the all-time series and won the last meeting, 102-92, in Green Bay on Feb. 27, 2020.
• Youngstown State has won the last three and four of the last five games played at the Beeghly Center.
• Last season, the Penguins defeated the Phoenix in overtime, 98-94, on Jan. 25, 2020.
Scouting Green Bay
• Green Bay enters the weekend with a 0-8 overall record and a 0-4 mark in the Horizon League.
• The Phoenix are coming off a pair of losses to Wright State, Dec. 26-27. Green Bay lost 67-53 on Dec. 26 and 90-77 on Dec. 27.
• Leading Green Bay is Amari Davis with 17.4 points per game, which ranks fourth in the Horizon League.
• Josh Jefferson ranks 10th in the league in scoring with 15.3 points per game and PJ Pipes is averaging 12.6 points per contest.
• Youngstown State goes on the road for the third time in four weeks when it visits Horizon League preseason favorite Wright State, Jan. 8-9, at the Nutter Center.
• Tipoff on Friday night is at 7 p.m. while Saturday’s game has a start time of 3 p.m.
Home Sweet Home
• Since Feb. 7, 2019, Youngstown State is 19-4 in games played at Beeghly Center after its 80-66 win over WVU Tech on Dec. 14.
• Youngstown State went 13-3 at Beeghly Center last season and won four of its last five games at home during the 2018-19 campaign.
DQ Third Fastest to 1,000
on Dec. 13.
• He now ranks 29th all-time with 1,046 points.
• Quisenberry reached the milestone in his 66th career game and became the third fastest YSU Division I player to score 1,000 points.
• Cameron Morse scored his 1,000th point in his 60th game and Reggie Kemp joined the club in his 65th contest.
Akuchie in Doubles = Wins
• In the last 17 games Akuchie has scored at least 10 points, the Penguins own a record of 13-4, dating back to last season.
• He posted his fifth career double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds against Northern Kentucky on Dec. 20.
• Akuchie recorded the fourth double-double of his career with 14 points and 11 rebounds against Binghamton on Dec. 13.
Duo Nearing 1,000 Points
• Two more members of the men’s basketball
team are on the verge of reaching 1,000 career points.
Bohannon Approaching 1,000 Rebounds
• He ranks fifth all-time with 817 career rebounds and needs 177 more to become the first YSU Division I player to post 1,000 career rebounds.
• He is just the second Division I player to record 800 rebounds and needs 77 more to become the program’s Division I all-time leading rebounder.