The retiree recounted how he had met someone who claimed to be an American woman on an online dating app
A 72-year-old man was confined and robbed of cash and credit cards after he had been lured online to a date by a gang, the Dubai Court of First Instance has heard.
A 25-year-old jobless man and a 24-year-old woman (hairdresser), both Africans, together with other accomplices at large, are accused of confining the victim and robbing him.
The duo robbed the victim of Dh3,000 in cash and later withdrew Dh24,000 from his bank account using his credit cards.
Both of them have been detained.
During the public prosecution investigation, the complainant, a Jordanian retiree, recounted how he had met someone who claimed then to be an American woman on an online dating app. “She said she stayed in Bahrain and wanted to come to Dubai. We exchanged mobile numbers. On June 5, I received a message on WhatsApp from a woman telling me to meet her at a flat in the Marina area.”
He recalled how he was later led inside a room. “African women took me to a bed and made me sit. Men then came and hit me on the shoulder telling me not to move. They robbed me of Dh3,000 and my mobile phone. I felt terrified so I gave them my credit cards and their PINs.”
He managed later to leave the flat. “I was held there for about four hours. I found later they withdrew Dh24,000 from my cards,” he said.
The case dates back to June 5 and was registered at Al Barsha police station.
A police sergeant told the public prosecution investigator that the male defendant confessed he had planned – together with other aides – to lure men by setting up a fake account on social media. The account would post “tempting photos” of a European woman with fake personal information. Their account would offer massage or dates at their flat. Once the victim would get inside their place, they would force him under threats and intimidation to reveal his bank cards’ PINs. Later, they would withdraw cash or do quick shopping transactions at several places. The woman admitted to the charges and the victim identified her.”
The trial has been postponed to November 22.