- To get HBO Max on Roku, sign up for an account on the web and use the Add Channel menu to add it on your Roku.
- If you previously had one of HBO’s older apps installed on Roku, it’s easy to update the app to HBO Max.
If you used to subscribe to HBO’s streaming service known as HBO Now or accessed the HBO cable channel via HBO Go, you might have noticed that something has changed.
These have been combined and replaced with a single new streaming service: HBO Max. For many people, it’ll seem like little more than a branding change, but in reality, there are a lot of changes under the hood – HBO Max features substantially more content without raising the HBO Now subscription price.
You can read the details in our article “HBO Max vs. HBO Go vs. HBO Now: The key differences explained.” The good news is that HBO Max is now available on most streaming players, including Roku.
How to get HBO Max on Roku
If you didn’t already have HBO on your Roku, you can install it as you would any app on your Roku.
- Before you install HBO Max on your Roku, sign up for an HBO Max account. Open HBO Max in a web browser and click “Subscribe Now.” Follow the sign-up instructions – HBO Max costs $14.99 per month and you can cancel your service at any time without any long-term obligation.
- Using your Roku remote, press the Home button.
- Select “Search Channels.”
- Search for “HBO.” When you see “HBO Max,” select it and then choose “Add Channel.”
- After the app is installed, select “OK.”
- Press the Home button.
- Find “HBO Max” in your list of channels and select it. When you start it for the first time, log in using the credentials you created when you signed up for service on the HBO Max webpage.
Quick tip: If you use HBO Max a lot, you can rearrange the order of your Roku channels to position the app near the top of the list.
How to update to HBO Max on Roku
If you are already an HBO subscriber – either through HBO Now or HBO Go – in most cases, Roku should automatically update the app and you’ll have HBO Max on your device. If you don’t, you’ll need to force the update to happen:
- Using your Roku remote, select the HBO app but don’t start it.
- Press the Star button on the remote.
- Choose “Check for updates.”
- After a moment, Roku should replace the HBO app with HBO Max.
Is Peacock on Roku? Yes, here’s how to get NBC’s streaming service on any Roku device
How to use AirPlay on a Roku player to stream content from an Apple device
‘What is HBO Max?’: Here’s what you need to know about HBO’s streaming service answer to Netflix and Hulu
How to get HBO Max on an Amazon Fire Stick and watch shows like ‘Game of Thrones’ or ‘Friends’