The Metropolitan Police has issued a warning to schools across London about the children’s dating app MyLOL.
An advice email from the Met Police is understood to have been sent to a Hounslow secondary school earlier this month and was then passed on to parents .
MyLOL, described as the number one teen dating site in the US, Australia, the UK and Canada, has more than 300,000 members around the world.
Anyone aged 13 to 25 can register for the site and a Sunday People investigation in 2014 found a 24-year-old man messaging a 14-year-old girl.
A spokesman for the Met Police said this week: “It is important that children and young people know who it is they are contacting online and are aware of the risks of being contacted by strangers in this way.
“Safe Schools Officers routinely offer advice to schools about possible safety concerns, including safety online.
“Concerns around the safety of the MyLOL app have been shared by police forces across the UK and our Safer Schools Officers passed this information on to schools in London to help make them aware and to share with parents who may wish to take action as necessary.”
The email sent by Met Police advised parents to block and delete the app after another school send out a warning saying that it is being used by “sinister predators”.
After further investigation, the email from police said the school found that the app is being used for “inappropriate activities against young people.”
An NSPCC spokesman said: “Any app that allows strangers to send messages to children, particularly when they are of a sexual nature is troubling.
“We would urge parents to have a conversation with their children so they know how to stay safe online.
“The NSPCC and O2’s Net Aware site offers a no nonsense guide on social networks, apps and games to help adults keep up-to-date with the digital world and keep children safe.”