WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The Purdue Student Union Board and Purdue Memorial Union have planned events to make Purdue’s holiday celebrations available to Boilermakers all over the world. Featuring a lineup of virtual events and a light installation, this year’s holiday festivities may look a bit different, but they allow everyone in the Purdue community, near or far, to join together in celebration.
A winter light display is the centerpiece of this year’s holiday celebration. Located in Academy Park, the lights are on daily from 4 p.m. to 7 a.m. through the morning of Dec. 5. The display was designed and staged by Jim Heath, Purdue alumnus and owner of local business Window Genie of Lafayette.
When Heath heard that campus construction and guidelines protecting indoor spaces would prevent PMU from hosting its traditional Christmas tree, he was excited to create a space for people to visit, spend time and enjoy the season.
The PMU Christmas tree, regarded annually as one of the largest indoor trees in the state, is a tradition dating to the 1930s. Chelsea Harris, assistant director of programs for PMU, said that all potential donors of this year’s tree have agreed to wait for next year. For now, attention has been given to creating events that are free and accessible online.
* Virtual visits with Santa will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Dec. 12 and 19. Visits will be five minutes per family and will include a personal photo from the North Pole. A registration link will become available on PSUB Facebook page and website at noon on Nov. 30. Spaces are limited.
* Live readings of holiday stories will be aired at 7 p.m. Dec. 7-11 and Dec 14-18. Join special guests, including Mrs. Claus, as they read their favorite holiday stories on the PSUB Facebook page each night.
* Activity sheets will be available for download throughout the month on PSUB Facebook page and website. Including coloring pages, puzzle pages and stories about PMU pink mitten and Christmas tree, the collection will be fun for all ages. The Purdue community is encouraged to keep traditions alive by downloading, completing and sharing their creations.
All of these holiday events are organized by PSUB.
About Purdue University
Purdue University is a top public research institution developing practical solutions to today’s toughest challenges. Ranked the No. 5 Most Innovative University in the United States by U.S. News & World Report, Purdue delivers world-changing research and out-of-this-world discovery. Committed to hands-on and online, real-world learning, Purdue offers a transformative education to all. Committed to affordability and accessibility, Purdue has frozen tuition and most fees at 2012-13 levels, enabling more students than ever to graduate debt-free. See how Purdue never stops in the persistent pursuit of the next giant leap at https://purdue.edu/.
Writer: Christy McCarter
Media contact: Amy Patterson Neubert, email@example.com
Source: Chelsea Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org
Journalists visiting campus: Journalists should follow Protect Purdue protocols and the following guidelines:
- Campus is open, but the number of people in spaces may be limited. We will be as accommodating as possible, but you may be asked to step out or report from another location.
- To enable access, particularly to campus buildings, we recommend you contact the Purdue News Service media contact listed on the release to let them know the nature of the visit and where you will be visiting. A News Service representative can facilitate safe access and may escort you on campus.
- Correctly wear face masks inside any campus building, and correctly wear face masks outdoors when social distancing of at least six feet is not possible.