A husband who was bashed after chatting to a woman online didn’t want police to lay charges so he could keep the secret from his wife.
A secret wannabe Romeo who was bashed and robbed after chatting to a woman on a dating site refused to help police — because he didn’t want his wife to know.
The man was bashed and left bloodied on Melbourne’s outskirts in the bizarre incident in July 2019, after chatting to a woman on online dating site Scout.
In statements to police, he said he wanted to keep that fact secret from his wife, so he didn’t pursue charges.
In his first police statement before the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), the man said he believed he was hit with a weapon and immediately knocked out after being stopped by a female in the middle of the road.
He said he was driving a short distance to a friend’s house in the Melton area when someone approached his driver’s side.
Next thing he knew, he woke up in the middle of a housing estate, blood dripping from his eye, the right side of his face, lip, nose and ear.
He was eventually treated by paramedics, who told him he’d been stabbed.
When police came, he signed paperwork refusing treatment, but realised as he drove home that his gold necklace, mobile phone and wallet with his ID, licence, Medicare and bank cards had been stolen.
The man said he went to hospital the next day and has since received ongoing treatment.
However, in a second signed statement the following month, the man revealed he had been talking to a girl on Scout before the assault and admitted the events may be linked.
The man said he didn’t want his wife to know about this, didn’t want to go to court and didn’t want anyone charged.
The Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal (VOCAT) refused the man’s request for an award of assistance, given his failure to help prosecutors.
The man fought the decision in VCAT, adding there’d been “miscommunication” between himself and police, who he alleged tricked him into signing his second statement.
He said he in fact did want his attackers to go to jail and had since contacted police to press charges.
However, he agreed he had signed the police statement and he was “stupid and should have waited for his wife to come home”.
The man told police he was on Scout, that it was “an old thing” and could not remember his password.
He also said police had told him it was the second time an incident like this had happened.
VCAT on Friday upheld the refusal to grant the man compensation.
“Whether or not he has later changed his mind, I am satisfied (he) failed to provide reasonable assistance to the police in the investigation of the alleged incident, and I am not satisfied that special circumstances brought about that result,” senior member Elisabeth Wentworth said in her ruling.
“Not everyone who is injured because of a crime is eligible for an award and, in some circumstances, an award must be refused. This is such a case.”