Woodstock man admits to stabbing 17-year-old to death | #facebookdating | #tinder | #pof

Amon Kelleter has been convicted of second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Destiny Andersen almost two years ago.

The Woodstock-area man was initially charged with first-degree murder to which he pleaded not guilty. On Friday, at a makeshift courtroom at the Woodstock Baptist Church, Kelleter pleaded guilty to the lesser charge and was convicted.

No motive could be found for the stabbing, court heard.

Justice Richard Petrie read out the agreed statement of facts outlining what took place on Sept. 11, 2018, the day Andersen was found dead at a house in Jacksonville, seven kilometres north of Woodstock. Petrie asked Kelleter if he understood what he was admitting to after each paragraph.

The statement outlined the details of Kelleter’s decision to stab and kill Andersen while she was at his house, cleaning up the blood, then calling police and reporting he was walking the dog when someone else killed her.

Amon Kelleter, 18, was charged with first-degree murder but pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder. (Shane Fowler/CBC)

Kelleter was 18 when he was arrested after Andersen was found dead.

He is still in custody, where he’s been since the arrest, and is to appear at a sentencing hearing Sept. 3.

Andersen’s mother, Katy Andersen, previously requested a publication ban be lifted to reveal her daughter’s name because “I wanted her face to be out there, so they can realize what was taken from her family, her friends and this world.” 

Amon Kelleter was led into the makeshift courtroom at the Woodstock Baptist Church Friday morning. (Shane Fowler/CBC)

There were around a dozen people in court Friday. Katy Andersen sat directly across form Kelleter and made eye contact with him a few times. She held a photo of her daughter in her lap, and held it up occasionally during the hearing.

Speaking outside of court, Katy Andersen said she is disappointed that Kelleter was convicted of a lesser crime.

“I have mixed feelings about today,” she said.

She said she wants her daughter remembered for who she was and not for how she died. 

“I want her to be remembered for the bubbly, smiley, happy, outgoing, very smart young woman that she was,” she said. “And although her life was only 17 years, she packed a lot into her 17 years.” 

Kelleter’s brother and father were also in court Friday.

Statement of facts

On that day, Destiny Andersen was alone in the house with Kelleter.

“They did not share a close relationship but there was no animosity between them,” Petrie said, reading from the statement of facts.

Andersen was dating his brother, who was at work. She was in the basement, and Kelleter was in the main floor of the house.

Katy Andersen, Destiny’s mother, said she was disappointed with the guilty plea to a the lesser charge of second degree murder Friday morning after Kelleter’s court appearance. (Shane Fowler/CBC)

After he was arrested, Kelleter admitted he had the thought earlier in the day to kill Andersen.

“Your thoughts were ‘kill, stab, kill her, stab her,'” Petrie said.

At 3:51 p.m. Kelleter sent her a message by Facebook messenger asking her to come upstairs. When she did not reply, he sent another. In total, he sent six messages asking her to come upstairs to help him move some things.

Destiny Andersen, 17, was murdered on Sept. 11, 2018, at a residence in Jacksonville. (Shane Fowler/CBC)

The message exchange was odd enough that she took a screenshot and sent it to her friend on Snapchat with the caption “WTF.”

When Kelleter messaged her, he was standing at the top of the stairs with a kitchen knife. When she came up the stairs, he attacked her, causing her to fall down the stairs. He pursued her into the basement and stabbed her repeatedly. 

A pathologist found 12 wounds, including defensive wounds, when conducting the autopsy.

The statement said a forensic examination of Andersen’s cellphone showed that at 3:58 p.m. she attempted to call 911 and for “unknown reasons” the call did not connect.

She died of stab wounds.

After the stabbing, Kelleter moved Andersen upstairs. He at first told police her shirt and pants were moved while he was moving her but later admitted he unbuttoned her pants and pulled up her shirt and bra but did not do anything further.

When being interrogated by the RCMP major crimes unit, Kelleter told police he didn’t go further “because that would make me worse of a person than I already am for stabbing a person,” the statement said.

After the stabbing, he washed the knife, mopped up the blood in the basement and changed his clothes. 

He then called 911 to report finding Andersen this way after coming back from walking the dog.

“Throughout the course of the RCMP investigation there was no clear motive for the crime determined,” the final paragraph of the statement of facts says.

Justice Petrie said he’s “satisfied that Mr. Kelleter understands the facts,” he said.

Source link

.  .  .  .  .  .  . .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .   .   .   .    .    .   .   .   .   .   .  .   .   .   .  .  .   .  .